They have received over 5,300 ideas from the public on how Ireland can get itself out of recession.
Here are some of the ideas submitted:
- Abolish state exams in favour of progressive assessment over a two-year period.
- Add economically relevant subjects to the Leaving Cert.
- All citizens should have a governmental email address based on their PPS number. Instead of having items posted to the home, individuals can sign up for electronic communications.
- Change all public lighting to LED devices.
- Connect every home in the country to a fibre optic network.
- Allow cars with three or more people to use bus lanes.
- Abandon the renting of prefabs and build actual school buildings.
- Utilise unemployed construction workers to work on unfinished and local projects (e.g. schools), and infrastructure.
- A bridge to the UK would open up Ireland for tourism like never before and gives us direct road access to a market of 60 million people.
They have now put together an Action Plan for Economic Recovery and Renewal and have forwarded this to An Taoiseach Brian Cowen.
Let’s hope they put some of the ideas into action.
What do you think of the ideas?